Tax Principal Michael Mishik has more than 25 years of professional experience advising corporations, partnerships, individuals, and tax-exempt organizations on a broad range of tax planning and tax structuring opportunities. He is a seasoned negotiator and strategist with substantial experience in tax controversy matters.
His expertise extends to areas that include:
- Developing strategies to mitigate corporate tax exposure
- Advising on cross border (inbound, outbound, foreign to foreign) transactions and foreign tax planning to maximize the tax efficiency of multijurisdictional business enterprises
- Providing tax planning for and structuring of taxable and tax-free mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and recapitalizations
- Resolving tax controversies including managing IRS audits of large corporate consolidated groups and representing clients and stakeholders before taxing authorities
- Providing tax structuring for real estate investments and ventures, including “mixing bowl” structures, REITs, 1031 like-kind exchanges, and FIRPTA planning
- Devising tax planning and transaction structures for financially troubled and insolvent companies
- Participating in initiatives recommending adoption of/changes to rules and regulations having material U.S. and non-U.S. tax implications
- Developing structures for alternative investment platforms and other partnerships and joint ventures for technology, real estate, manufacturing, e-commerce, media and financial/investment enterprises
- Planning and implementing hedging programs, securitizations and other structured financing transactions and derivative financial instruments
- Advising public charities and private foundations on UBTI, investment structuring, private inurement, and corporate governance issues
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
New York State Bar Association
- Tax Section
Quinnipiac University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor of Law
Michael has spoken and written on an array of subjects, among them mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy tax, international taxation, and the buying and selling of technology businesses.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Michael earned his Juris Doctor degree from the UCLA School of Law and a Bachelor of Science degree With Merit in Political Science from the United States Naval Academy. He is licensed to practice law in California, the District of Columbia, and New York State.