Sarah S. Kim is a Tax Principal in the State and Local Tax Group with more than 11 years of professional experience as tax advisor. Sarah advises Fortune 500 and middle market businesses across an array of industries. She has experience with various types of taxes, including corporate income and franchise tax, sales and use tax, personal income tax, withholding tax, pass-through entity tax, commercial rent tax, and real estate transfer tax.
Her experience extends to the following services:
- Consulting on income and franchise tax and sales and use tax issues, including nexus determination, optimal filing methodology, employer withholding requirements, and sourcing analysis of various types of income
- Representing clients in tax controversies in various jurisdictions
- Reviewing income/franchise tax and sales/use tax returns of multistate corporations
- Assisting clients with securing voluntary disclosure agreements for various taxes
- Conducting state and local tax due diligence in connection with various M&A transactions
- Identifying state refund opportunities and coordinating the filing of refund claims
Prior to joining Berdon in 2020, Sarah worked at Big Four accounting firms. While in law school, Sarah interned in the Legal Affairs Division of the NYC Department of Finance.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
New York State Bar Association
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
Sarah received her Juris Doctor degree with a concentration in Tax Law from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law and her Master of Laws in Taxation from Boston University Law School. In addition, she holds a Master’s Degree in International Trade and Finance from Yonsei University and a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration and Economics from Sogang University in South Korea. She is admitted to practice law in New York State.
Sarah speaks English and Korean.